He has been a faculty at IIM Ahmedabad since 1985. He was Dean (Faculty), IIMA from September 2013 to December 2015. He was the Vice Chancellor of the Indian Maritime University from July 2012 to March 2013. He was the Indian Railways Chair Professor from January 2008 to August 2010.
He specializes in infrastructure and transport systems and logistics and supply chain management. He conducts research on the railway, port, shipping, aviation and road sectors. He has published over 35 refereed papers in journals and written over 157 case studies. He is currently publishing his sixth coauthored book. He was awarded (i) ‘Academician of the Year’ by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport in 2012 and (ii) ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ for contribution to logistics and infrastructure by EXIM News in 2014.
He is a Fellow of the Operational Research Society of India, and Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport. He has teaching experience at universities in India, USA, Canada, Yugoslavia, Singapore, Tanzania and UAE.
He has offered consultancy services to over 100 organizations including multilateral agencies. He is on the board of seven companies in the fields of infrastructure and logistics. He has served on various government policy making and advisory committees for the Ministry of Railways, Ministry of Shipping, Ministry of Civil Aviation, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Planning Commission, Comptroller and Auditor General, and the Cabinet Secretariat.
Raghuram has a BTech degree from IIT, Madras; a postgraduate diploma in management from IIM, Ahmedabad; and a PhD from Northwestern University, USA.
- International Study Visits (Shipping and Logistics), 1988, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009
- Visiting Professor, NUS Business School, National University of Singapore, September 2002
- Visiting Professor, Maine Maritime Academy, USA, 1996
- Visiting Professor, AB Freeman School of Business, Tulane University, New Orleans, USA, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991
- Visiting Research Scholar, School of Business, Queens University, Kingston, Canada, 1984
- Visiting Research Scholar, Center for Research in Transportation, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada, 1983
- Infrastructure and Transportation Systems
- Supply Chain and Logistics Management